Last updated at 12:08 BST, Wednesday, 02 October 2013
Report and vocabulary
You might think standing out in the wild would work against you.
But for flamingos, it's the pinker and older birds who seem to be the key individuals in the flock.
That's the conclusion reached by researchers in Britain. They are trying to understand the animals in order to help them thrive in captivity.
Four of the six remaining species of flamingo are threatened with extinction.Many of their wetland habitats are being affected by mining.
being obvious and noticeable
group of birds, sheep or goats
be successful, healthy or happy
complete disappearance of a particular species of animal or plant
area of land which is often covered with water
Use one of the words or phrases below to complete each of these sentences from news reports.
Note that you may have to change the form of a word to complete the sentence correctly.
standing out / flock / thrive / extinction / wetland
1. Scottish Natural Heritage said the hot weather had helped wild raspberries and brambles __________ across the country. The fruits have grown particularly well across Tayside, especially in the fertile Strathmore valley.
2. Scientists say there is an urgent need for more research on both __________ and dryland areas in the Andes to get a better sense of what will affect water supplies in a warming world.
3. What is it that makes a good boss __________ from his or her corporate colleagues and rivals? Key attributes for a successful chief executive would include the ability to lead others, to see in advance what needs doing and to be passionate about problem-solving.
4. "If humans contributed to the mass __________ of big animals 12,000 years ago, this suggests that humans started to affect the environment at global scales before the dawn of agriculture," Dr Wolf observed.
5. A man who says he has been attacked by seagulls three times and forced to run off in panic has called for the birds' nests to be removed. Keith Lee said he had been repeatedly targeted by a __________ of the gulls whilst walking on a cycle path in Hull.