您现在的位置: 英语新闻听与读 >> 英语学习知识中心 >> 英语阅读 >> 综合阅读 >> 名著选读 >> 正文
  [图文]《夏洛特的网》第九章(下)          【字体:
《夏洛特的网》第九章(下)
作者:英语点津    文章来源:China Daily    点击数:117    更新时间:2016/12/14   

《夏洛特的网》第九章(下)

Twilight settled over Zuckerman's barn, and a feeling of peace.
薄暮的余晖把祖克曼先生的谷仓笼罩在宁静、平和的气氛里。

Fern knew it was almost suppertime but she couldn't bear to leave.
芬知道差不多到晚饭时间了,却还是舍不得离去。

Swallows passed on silent wings, in and out of the doorways, bringing food to their young ones. From across the road a bird sang“Whippoorwill, whippoorwill!” Lurvy sat down under an apple tree and lit his pipe; the animals sniffed the familiar smell of strong tobacco. Wilbur heard the trill of the tree toad and the occasional slamming of the kitchen door. All these sounds made him feel comfortable and happy, for he loved life and loved to be a part of the world on a summer evening. But as he lay there he remembered what the old sheep had told him. The thought of death came to him and he began to tremble with fear.
燕子无声地拍着翅膀,从门口飞进飞出,一遍遍的给他们的孩子衔来食物。小路那边有一只夜鸱在唱:“威普威噢,威普威噢!”鲁维坐在一棵苹果树下,吸着他的烟斗;动物们都闻到了那种熟悉的刺鼻的烟草味儿。威伯听到了树蟾的颤音和不时传来的开关厨房门的声音。所有的这些声音都让他感觉惬意而又幸福,因为他热爱生活,愿意成为这夏夜世界的一分子。但是,当他躺在那里时,他忽然记起了老羊告诉过他的话。他开始想到了死,就害怕得哆嗦起来。

“Charlotte?” he said, softly.
“夏洛?”他轻轻地说。

“Yes, Wilbur?”
“什么事,威伯?”

“I don’t want to die.”
“我不想死。”

“Of course you don’t,” said Charlotte in a comforting voice.
“你当然不想,”夏洛安慰道。

“I just love it here in the barn,” said Wilbur. “I love everything about this place.”
“我爱谷仓。”威伯说。“我爱这里的一切。”

“Of course you do,” said Charlotte. “We all do.”
“当然,”夏洛说。”我们都爱这里。”

The goose appeared, followed by her seven goslings. They thrust their little necks out and kept up a musical whistling, like a tiny troupe of pipers. Wilbur listened to the sound with love in his heart.
母鹅出现了,身后跟着她的七只小鹅。他们歪着他们的小脖子,哼着同样的旋律,就像一小队吹笛手。威伯满是爱意地听着这种声音。

“Charlotte?” he said.
“夏洛?”他说。

“Yes?” said the spider.
“嗯?”蜘蛛说。

“Were you serious when you promised you would keep them from killing me?”
“你曾承诺过不让他们杀我,你是认真的吗?”

“I was never more serious in my life. I am not going to let you die, Wilbur.”
“在我一生中还从没这么认真过呢。我不会让你死的,威伯。”

“How are you going to save me?” asked Wilbur, whose curiosity was very strong on this point.
“你打算怎么救我呢?”强烈想知道这点的威伯问。

“Well,” said Charlotte, vaguely, “I don't really know. But I'm working on a plan.”
“唔,”夏洛含混地说,“我还不知道呢。但是我正在制订计划。”

“That's wonderful,” said Wilbur. “How is the plan coming, Charlotte? Have you got very far with it? Is it coming along pretty well?” Wilbur was trembling again, but Charlotte was cool and collected.
“好极了,”威伯说,“这计划的开始是怎么样的,夏洛?你已经想出很多步骤了吗?它进展得非常顺利吗?”威伯又打了一个冷战,可夏洛还是非常冷静。

“Oh, it's coming all right,” she said, lightly. “The plan is still in its early stages and hasn't completely shaped up yet, but I'm working on it.
“哦,计划就快弄好了,”她轻声地说,“这计划还刚刚开头,没有成形,不过我会弄好的。”

“When do you work on it?” begged Wilbur.
“你什么时候能想好?”威伯乞求。

“When I'm hanging head-down at the top of my web. That’s when I do my thinking, because then all the blood is in my head.”
“在我倒挂在我的网上的时候吧。那时我才能想事情,因为那时全身的血才会涌到我的脑袋里。”

“I'd be only too glad to help in any way I can.”
“我非常愿意在我力所能及的范围内帮你。”

“Oh, I'll work it out alone,” said Charlotte. “I can think better if I think alone.”
“哦,我将一个人解决它,”夏洛说,“我一个人时会想出更好的办法。”

“All right,” said Wilbur. “But don't fail to let me know if there's anything I can do to help, no matter how slight.
“好吧,”威伯说,“但是如果有什么我能做的,不管是多么小的事儿,你也别忘了告诉我。”

“Well,” replied Charlotte, “you must try to build yourself up. I want you to get plenty of sleep, and stop worrying. Never hurry and never worry! Chew your food thoroughly and eat every bit of it, except you must leave just enough for Templeton. Gain weight and stay well — that’s the way you can help. Keep fit, and don’tlose your nerve. Do you think you understand?
“好的,”夏洛回答,“你必需加强你的信心。我要你保持充足的睡眠,不要再担忧了。永远也不要着急和担心!慢慢地吃光你的每一点食物,除了你剩给坦普尔曼的那些。把自己吃胖,好好活着——这就是你能帮我做的。保持健康,不要气馁。你明白了吗?”

"Yes, I understand,” said Wilbur.
“是的,我懂了,”威伯说。

“Go along to bed, then,” said Charlotte. “Sleep is important.”
“那么上床休息吧,”夏洛说,“睡眠是很重要的。”

Wilbur trotted over to the darkest corner of his pen and threw himself down. He closed his eyes. In another minute he spoke.
威伯迅速地跑到猪圈里最黑的角落,躺了下来。他闭上了眼睛。几分钟后他又说开了。

“Charlotte?” he said.
“夏洛?”他说。

“Yes, Wilbur?”
“什么事,威伯?”

“May I go out to my trough and see if I left any of my supper? I think I left just a tiny bit of mashed potato.”
“我可以到食槽去看看是否还有剩下的晚餐吗?我想我还剩了点儿土豆泥。”

“Very well,” said Charlotte. “But I want you in bed again without delay.”
“可以,”夏洛说,“不过吃完你得立刻回来睡觉。”

Wilbur started to race out to his yard.
威伯颠颠地向他的院子跑去。

“Slowly, slowly!” said Charlotte. “Never hurry and never worry!”
“慢点儿,慢点儿!”夏洛说。“永远不要着急和担心!”

Wilbur checked himself and crept slowly to his trough. He found a bit of potato, chewed it carefully, swallowed it, and walked back to bed. He closed his eyes and was silent for a while.
威伯硬生生的放慢了脚步,开始缓缓地往食槽爬。他找到一小块土豆,便细细地咀嚼,咽下,然后才回到了床上。他闭上眼,沉默了一小会儿。

“Charlotte?” he said, in a whisper.
“夏洛?”他低语道。

“Yes?”
“什么事?”

“May I get a drink of milk? I think there are a few drops of milk left in my trough.”
“我可以喝点儿牛奶吗?我想我的食槽里还剩几滴牛奶呢。”

“No, the trough is dry, and I want you to go to sleep. No more talking! Close your eyes and go to sleep!”
“不,食槽已经空了,我要你马上睡觉。不许再讲话!闭上眼睡觉!”

Wilbur shut his eyes. Fern got up from her stool and started for home, her mind full of everything she had seen and heard.
威伯闭上了眼。芬从她的小凳上站起来,开始往家走,她看见、听到的每一件事都装到了脑子里。

“Good night, Charlotte!” said Wilbur.
“晚安,夏洛!”威伯说。

“Good night, Wilbur!”
“晚安,威伯!”

There was a pause.
又静了一会儿。

“Good night, Charlotte!”
“晚安,夏洛!”

“Good night, Wilbur!”
“晚安,威伯!”

“Good night!”
“晚安!”

“Good night!”
“晚安!”

(来源:爱思英语 编辑:丹妮)

  • 上一篇文章:

  • 下一篇文章:
  • 发表评论】【加入收藏】【告诉好友】【打印此文】【关闭窗口
    最新热点 最新推荐 相关文章
    暖心小说《小王子》第26章
    《夏洛特的网》第11章
    暖心小说《小王子》第25章
    《夏洛特的网》第十章
    暖心小说《小王子》第24章
    《夏洛特的网》第九章(上)
    《夏洛特的网》第八章
    《夏洛特的网》第七章
    《夏洛特的网》第六章
    《夏洛特的网》第五章(下)
      网友评论:(只显示最新10条。评论内容只代表网友观点,与本站立场无关!)
    Welcome to our listening lounge! 站长:刘老师